I just paste a list from another worksheet and found that I need a text format version of the numbers in the list. I format the cells into Text format and tried replace the numbers. I thought it would work. To my surprise, it didn’t. I search and found another solution and it works. Here is how:
- Select the list of numbers you want to convert.
- Activate the Text to Column function.
- In the first step, select delimited.
- Click next until you are at the last step.
- Select the format as Text and click finished.
- The list of numbers has been converted to text format.
To do the reverse, i.e. to convert a list of text formated numbers to number format, here is how:
- Go to an empty cell and type in the number 1 (General format).
- Copy the cell.
- Highlight the list of text format numbers you want to convert to number format.
- Using Paste Special, select the option paste values and the mutiplication operations.
- Click OK and the list of numbers is now formated as numbers.